Skip to main navigation.

Outages are being reported in the Deadwood, Indian Creek, Lake Creek Mountain, West Fork, and in the 14000's - 15000's of Hwy 36. Crews have been dispatched. If your power is out, please report it at 541-688-8711. Please leave your porch light in the on position so that crews will be able to rapidly determine who has been restored. It's a windy one out there - stay safe.

Portable Generators and Electrical Safety

Light bulb image with text: Knowing the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from portable electric generators could save your life.

Portable electric generators provide a good source of power during electrical outages, but if improperly installed or operated, can become deadly. The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI)  and Blachly-Lane Electric Cooperative (BLEC) urges consumers to become more knowledgeable about electrical safety. These precautions can help keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning and electrical shock from portable electric generators.

Opening doors and windows or operating fans to ventilate will not prevent CO build-up in the home. Even with a CO alarm, you should NEVER use a gasoline-powered generator inside your home or in a garage.

 

Use your generator safely:

 

*Do not connect generators directly to house hold wiring without an appropriate transfer switch installed. Power from generators connected directly to household wiring can backfeed along power lines and electrocute anyone coming in contact with them, including lineworkers making repairs. Other tips include:

*Make sure your generator is properly grounded.

*Keep the generator dry.

*Make sure extension cords used with generators are rated for the load, and are free of cuts, worn insulation, and have three-pronged plugs.

*Do not overload the generator. A portable generator should be used only when necessary, and only to power essential equipment or appliances.

*Never operate the generator in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. Use carbon monoxide detectors in nearby enclosed spaces to monitor levels. Generators can produce high levels of carbon monoxide very quickly, which can be deadly.

*Use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to help prevent electrocutions and electrical shock injuries.

*Turn off all appliances powered by the generator before shutting down the generator.

*Keep children away from portable generators at all times.

*Make sure fuel for the generator is stored safely, away from living areas, in properly labeled containers, and away from fuel-burning appliances. Before re-fueling, always turn the generator off and let it cool down.

Information courtesy of Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFi). 

For information on permanent generator installation click here.

 

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Coop Connections Card Image and Link 811 Image and Link Member Portal Login button